Surgery is the most important component in the treatment of solid organ cancers. Cure is not a realistic possibility without it. We, at the Department of Surgical Oncology at Dr Mehta’s Hospitals, Chennai, aim to cure such cancers whenever possible, and when not possible, shall give palliative treatment, so as to improve the quality of their life.
In this era of organ conservation, the department of Surgical oncology works closely with Medical and Radiological oncology for optimal outcome and international guidelines with regard to treatment of such cancers including preoperative Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy are utilized for the same. In early stages of various cancers, surgery alone suffices for cure. In more advanced stages, Chemotherapy (or) Radiotherapy may be required before or after surgery, to achieve optimal outcomes.
SCOPE OF SERVICES
Diagnostic services, curative &palliative treatment for:
- HEAD &NECK TUMOURS
- Mouth, throat, larynx, salivary gland & thyroid
- CHEST CANCERS
- Oesophageal & lung cancers
- GASTRO INTESTINAL CANCERS
- Stomach, large bowel, small bowel, liver & pancreatic cancers
- GENITO URINARY CANCERS
- Kidney, bladder, adrenal, & penile cancers
- SKIN CANCERS
- SOFT TISSUE & BONE SARCOMAS
- MINIMAL ACCESS SURGERY AS APPROPRIATE IN VARIOUS CANCERS
Cancer treatment doesn’t end with radiation or chemotherapy alone; the allied specialties including Physiotherapy, Dental, ENT, Pain services and Psychiatry are also involved in rehabilitation of such patients.
- to ensure early pickup of recurrences or relapses
- to ensure cure when possible and palliation when not possible
For various cancers for the appropriate population at risk