In quarantine, many people base their day around food which could contribute to weight gain.
We have listed some weight-loss diet tips you can follow in quarantine. Here they are:
1. Include more protein and fibre: Protein and fibre helps to reduce weight and protein and gives you more sateity too. So make sure to include foods rich in protein (including lean meat, fish,eggs, variety of pulsees and legumes) and fibre (whole grains, nuts,seed, fruits and vegetables)
2. Snack smart: Snacking is inevitable during this period but choose healthy snacks like sprouts, sweet corn, sandwiches, fruit chaatetc
3. Early dinner: If you eat most of your food at least 2 hours before you sleep, your body is able to digest it better. Good digestion is key for healthy weight-management.
4. Cut down on refined carbs and sugar: Refined carbs and sugar are the main culprits for the unhealthy weight gain.Avoid refined foods like white breads, refined cereals, pasta and sugary goods like cookies, doughnuts and cakes. Include more whole grain products and foods with complex carbs and fibre.
5. Stay hydrated: At times your body intermixes signals of thirst and hunger. Drinking plenty of water helps you keep away from unhealthy snacking, and is good for digestion, healthy kidneys and skin. If plain water bores you, you can try herbal tea , buttermilk etc
6. Include more seasonal fruits and vegetables: Make it a habit to have at least 2-3 fruit servings every day. Always fill your half plate with vegetables before taking a meal. Seasonal fruits come with a range of healthy antioxidants. Most of these fruits and vegetables are also enriched with fibre that promotes weight loss.
7. Don’t forget the nuts and seeds. Nuts and seeds are good sources of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. Almonds, walnuts, flaxseeds, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds – are particularly very beneficial for weight loss.
8. Split large meals in small meals: It is a good idea to split your large meals into multiple small meals, this helps you watch calories and is also good for metabolism.
9. Cut back of processed food, ready to eat mixes, tinned cans: All these foods are mostly filled with fats, sugar and preservatives which are harmful to your body. It is also a good idea to avoid trans-fats from junk food and fast food.
10. Have a healthy breakfast: In addition to refueling you, breakfast keeps you full till lunch, which prevents you from snacking in between.good breakfast may also do wonders for your metabolism.
11. Practise Slow Eating: No more rushed mornings or quick office breaks.Sopractise slow eating, chew well and eat which helps in weight loss and proper digestion.
12. Follow A Strict Schedule: It could be difficult at first but once you frame and start following a schedule with proper meal timings, you’ll see your day being more productive and optimal eating will keep sluggishness at bay. Avoiding excessive calories is another benefit.
13. Exercise and keeping active. Not only is activity important for ourphysical health and wellbeing, it is very important for our mental health too. Followthe social distancing rules and either enjoy a walk or jogat a comfortable pacefor you. There are so many work outs and exercises that you can try indoor too.